There is a proven sequence of steps you can follow to guarantee your success when you’re starting a small business online. I’ve seen thousands of people start and grow successful businesses by doing the following:
- Find a need and fill it.
- Write copy that sells.
- Design and build an easy-to-use website.
- Use search engines to drive traffic to your site.
- Establish an expert reputation for yourself.
- Follow up with your customers and subscribers with email.
- Increase your income through back-end sales and upselling.
Step 1: Register Your Business Name
It will benefit you in the long run to register your business with a legal business name to ensure everything is legal. By doing this you will also keep other people from using your business name and benefiting from your hard work.
- Do a little research on the tax benefits of being incorporated (INC) or being a limited liability corporation (LLC) versus the disadvantages and see if either of those will give you an advantage for your business.
- Get a second address for your business for privacy and to keep your personal and business mail separate.
Consider renting a mailbox from your local post office to use as your second address. Make sure you get the best size for the amount of mail you will receive. You may also have the choice to pay in 3, 6, or 12 month incremental payments.
Step 2: Open a Business Bank Account
Open a separate business bank account to keep your personal and business expenses separate.
- You can open a business bank account anywhere, but having a local branch nearby can be helpful, especially if problems arise and they can only be resolved in-person.
Explore different merchant accounts to take credit and debit card payments.
There are several options: Traditional banks, PayPal, Stripe, etc. • • Banks will require more information about your business (including a business plan and forecasts) to grant you access to a merchant account.
Virtually anyone can apply for and get a PayPal or Stripe account (without providing the level of information a traditional bank requires), so you will be able to take payments more quickly.
Step 3: Open a New Google Account and Services
Set up a Google account to take advantage of Google services such as:
- Google Analytics
Head over to JVZoo and set up a free account.
You can set up a free JVZoo account to sell your own products and to promote other marketers’ products as an affiliate.
Step 4: Get Your Domain
Name and reliable Web Hosting To set up your own business website, the first thing you will need is a domain name.
Here are a few domain name registrars:
Don’t forget about reliable Web hosting
Try to register a domain name that has your main topic or keyword in the domain name. Doing this will help with your site’s ranking in the search engines and be easier for prospective customers to find.
- Try to register a .com, .net, or .org domain name if possible- arguably, the three most-recognized domain name extensions.
- Be sure your Web hosting provider provides good customer service whenever you have an issue via online chat, email or phone.